To Donate Whole Blood:
• You must be at least 17 years of age. Sixteen-year olds can donate in Lorain County with verifiable parental permission. Click here to download Parental Consent Form for 16-year-old donors.
• You must weigh 110 pounds or more.
• You must be in overall good health. You can donate every eight weeks or every 56 days.
Click here to locate the Eligibility Calendar.
• Before donating blood, you should drink plenty of fluids and eat a meal or snack. Do not drink an excessive amount of caffeinated beverages. Please continue to take prescribed medications.
Platelet or Plasma Pheresis Donation Requirements:
• At least 17 years old and have given whole blood or automated double red cell (2RBC) successfully at least once.
• Weigh at least 110 pounds.
• Be in general good health.
• Donors cannot take aspirin or aspirin-containing medications for 48 hours prior to donating platelets.
• Your platelet count will be checked before going on the machine to make sure you meet the Food and Drug Administration’s standards for donation.
• Platelets can be donated every two weeks and plasma can be given every 28 days.
• Blood types A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB- are preferred for this donation.
Automated Double Red Cell Donation Requirements:
• At least 17 years old
• Men must weigh 130 pounds and be at least 5’1" tall
• Women must weigh 150 pounds and be at least 5’3" tall
• In generally good health.
• You can donate every 16 weeks or three times a year.
• Two units of red cells are drawn.
• Blood types A+, O+, O- are preferred for this donation method.